It began when you were a child

Children know how to find just the right place, the place where they feel free and safe.  Some want to have all the toys right out in the middle of the floor.  Some like to sit in the corner and play quietly.  Some have to be outside on the other side of the fence, riding bicycles, skateboarding, playing soccer.  Where did you like to play?

I built forts. They had small rooms, usually only one to be truthful, although there was one that all the kids worked on that was two stories with a full basement and a 7 hole miniature golf course!  In one of my favorites, I had created a little shelf and there I put a handful of valueable things that I had found in the alley! Mostly, the light was low, filtered through the cracks in the boards.   I could hear the wind blowing outside and the sounds of the neighborhood traffic.  But inside, I was safe and warm and content.

Now, in my wonderful 106 year old farm house, my favorite room is the smallest in the house.  The sunlight is filtered through the pine trees and my grandmother's lace curtains.  The wood is old.  The shelves are lined with my life's treasures.  I can hear my husband in the family room down the hall and the crackle of the wood burning stove in the living room.  I am safe and warm and content.

Think back to your favorite places as a child.  It might have been your grandmother's kitchen.  It might have been your bedroom or even a museum.  You might have been one of those children who needed the wide open spaces of the entire neighborhood.  Soak in all those memories.  This place is most likely the place where your soul first found a home.  Let's bring back the fullness of that space to where you live now!

Comments

Popular Posts